Thursday, September 16, 2010

It's a ...



 

 We are delighted.  Jamie is still wondering how his reverse psychology failed but he will catch up eventually!  He's happy, he just hoped by saying he was 100% sure it was a girl...it would be a boy!  

I started drinking fluids an hour early like the office told me to.  I snuck in a little Dr. Pepper for good measure so baby would be movin'!  Well, by the time I got off the elevator I had to make a pit stop to relieve my bladder partially.  Then I sat and waited and was contemplating partially emptying again when the ultrasound tech called my name.  As always J is never a minute late but never a minute early either.  To get to the ultrasound room we have to exit the office.  I tried calling him because he hadn't arrived yet and wouldn't you know it, we picked him up fresh off the elevator on our way to the ultrasound room.  Always in the nick of time!  I had to pee so bad I wondered if I laid down, would it come rushing out.  I did okay until the UT started pressing on my stomach with the wand.  Yowza!  This was my first external ultrasound which I really liked.  J squeezed my hand in anticipation of finding out what we were having.  I knew the answer would be towards the end of the appointment because there were measurements and body parts the UT had to find first.  We stared at the screen trying to catch a glimpse of the sex before she announced it.  She started measuring the brain and spine, etc. and then she wiped off my stomach and said I could use the bathroom.  Jamie was like, "uh, we have more to see, right!?!"  She had measured the really important stuff and graciously let me go pee which I appreciated!  Then I came back and laid back down, she re-jellied up my belly and we were off again. 

J assumed position on my left side and squeezed my hand again, she showed us the face, the upper lip, the bladder, the kidneys, the legs, feet, and then she said "Are you ready?"  We both said yes and squeezed hands and she said "that's the bottom" and there was silence.  I didn't see anything but a hot dog bun looking thing with a bright spot and I was thinking to myself "okay, if I'm looking at the bottom and I see two oval shaped things and a bright spot, is that the scrotum and penis or is it the labia and clitoris?"  Jamie said "it's a girl".  She said "yep."  He said "I knew it.  I called it."  

I cried.  I laid there on that table with my head tilted toward the screen and tears hit the paper under my head.  I wanted a girl so bad.  I was afraid to say it but I wanted a girl so I could have a mother/daughter relationship besides the one I have with my own mom.  I laid there on the bed with J squeezing my hand and knew I had everything that was important to me right there in that room.  My husband and my daughter.  My family.  My new family.   I laid there feeling immense pride.  I was so proud of all we had been through and for where we were that very moment.  Jamie is going to make the best Dad.  I know it.  I have always told him he's meant to have a girl.  This guy knows girls.  I can't wait to see him hold his daughter.  I looked at the screen and I told J, "Look at her.  Do you remember when she was just an embryo?"  We had come so far.  Then the UT put the ultrasound on video and we all sat there still while we watched the baby move.  She wiggled  a few times (this is when I admitted to having Dr. Pepper) and then she let out the cutest, biggest yawn ever stretching her arms out.  The UT rewound the video and we all watched in amazement again.  The UT said "it's hard work in there."  That it must be with a yawn that big!

Here are a few pictures of our DAUGHTER! 


All snuggled up.

Indian style.  This one scared me.  It looked like she didn't have lower legs!


The yawn, with mouth open looking toward screen.


The cutest picture ever.  Two pretty little feet!  I am making this picture my desktop picture at work.  I could look at it all day.  Does it get much more perfect than this?  I can't tell if she has Daddy's block feet or Mommies long toes.  Kinda looks like one of each!

As we waited in the waiting room we texted all of our friends and put the announcement on facebook via our iphones at the same time.  It's always fun seeing the comments roll in.  We met with Dr. B next.  I peed again first.  I was weighed.  I gained four and a half pounds which I am okay with.  I have been eating out of nervousness the last couple of days.  Dr. B came in and performed my exam and said everything was good.  We met in his office next and discussed my pinched nerve and dizziness (which he is referring me to an ENT). He also gave me a fruit punch drink I need to drink for a glucose blood test next visit.  All in all another great appointment.  I'm thrilled, we're thrilled.

...

So, remember when we had our first heart scan and Jamie gave me a gift in the waiting room and told me he wanted me to remember that day...well I decided to get him a gift to make this ultrasound special for him.  I went shopping this morning and bought two girl's outfits and two boy's outfits.  All four said something about Daddy on them.  I raced home after the ultrasound while J was at the grocery store and wrapped the girl's outfits with a white and pink ribbon and attached a card.  Not bad for being hurried!



Here are the outfits.  I told Jamie before he opened the gift he had to share.  Now  he knows why...





And there you have it.  I keep saying to myself "I'm having a girl!"  I'm so excited.  I think Jamie would be a little more animated if he wasn't prepping for his colonoscopy.  I really don't think he understands just yet how much he will love having a girl.  He told the UT that this girl's gonna play hockey.  He's so funny.  He just wants a little sports mate.  All I know is that this girl is lucky.  She gets a Daddy and a Mommy that wanted her so badly.

18 comments:

Mama K said...

Aww YAY!!!!!!!!!! Congrats :) Our baby girl yawned at our gender reveal u/s also ... seriously the cutest thing ever!!!

I love those Carter outfits. I bought a ton today from Kohl's (as well as a bunch from Jumping Bean ... which I've never heard of until today), but sshh ... don't tell my husband. lol

So glad everything went well!!

Christia said...

I'm so so so so so happy for you! That was the best post. Just thinking of the journey you went through to get to this point makes it that much more special. You are going to be great parents!! So happy for you.

jenicini said...

Congrats!!!

Julia Goolia said...

eeeeek!

This post made me ALMOST cry:) I'm a hardass but still. So sweet, Amber.

Your baby girl is going to be the most adorable, hip thing ever. And watching Jamie with his daughter will be absolutely priceless to you--not to mention the amazing mother/daughter relationship you'll get to have. So happy for you, love!!!

Melissa said...

Congratulations!!! That is so exciting. I think I secretly wish for a girl, but at this point, I could care less as long as I get a healthy BABY!!! Have fun decorating the nursery girly style!

RELH said...

A HUGE CONGRATS TO YOUR FAMILY!

Anonymous said...

Hey Hey,
CONGRATS on Baby Girl!! I'm still praying for a baby miracle. :) I stumbled over your blog today and I just had to tell you I'm enjoying your blog. Congrats. I became a follower and I'm looking forward to keeping up and leaving comments. I hope you will check out my blog, and become a follower. I have a button, and I'd like to add you to my blog roll. I hope you have a lovely weekend. God Bless You and Yours

http://diaryofhappilyeverafter.blogspot.com/

Love,
Jess

Heather said...

How awesome! Congrats!

Life Happens said...

Congrats!!! How exciting! Girls are so much fun to shop for. You will have an amazing mother/daughter relationship!!

Priscilla said...

Congratulations!! GIRLS really are the best...at least I think so!!!!

Nick and Kristi said...

Congrats!!!!Sweet baby girl:) I love the outfits...Think of all the fun bows and headbands you can buy:)))

Jessica said...

Congrats on your baby girl..I am so happy for you!!

T said...

Yes, that is definitely one lucky girl! I am sure there will never be a day that passes where she is not loved.
Congratulations Momma! I see a lot of pink in your future!

Angie said...

Yay for little girls!!! We're so excited for you!

Do I Have to Be a D.I.N.K.? said...

Congrats!!!!

TeeJay said...

That is so cool! I love the detailed story and I love the gifts you bought. Too cute. Congratulations on your little girl. And I'm sure you both will have a great relationship with her. Being a hockey fan, I think it's great that J wants her play. :-)

Justine L said...

Cute! We're having a girl, too ... just found out last week. Congratulations!

Alex said...

Congratulations on a girl!!! I'm just now catching up, and I'm thrilled that you get to buy that adorable pink bedding!!!! So happy for you!